I have been keeping an eye on what Tilly is up to since her stint on Great British Sewing Bee and when Fabrications started selling the patterns I had a quick nosey. When Barley announced a how to sew with jersey class using one of Tilly’s patterns I knew I had to do it.
Barley took us through how to take our measurements, choose our size, cut out and sew with jersey. I had always thought you would need an over locker for stretch fabric but you just need the right zigzag stitch.
I decided to use two different colours as I came across the same fabric in both and really like the combination of them.
I chose the pattern size based on my bust measurement as that’s the largest part of me and the most close fitting bit of the pattern.
I would definitely recommend the class and the pattern. I now have a go to shift dress and I’m already imagining a shorter version as a jumper and a version in a thinner jersey so that it’s more relaxed and drapey. The class was a great introduction to sewing with jersey and I’m now armed with the skills to tackle this sometimes tricky fabric. By the end of the class we all had a new dress I even wore mine home!
Pattern size: 3
I added two inches to the length and half an inch to both colours for the seam attaching them together.
The orange is 4.5 inches.
I shortened the arms so that they ended at the elbow.
I cut the cuffs in orange and added a bit to the width to line up with the shorter arms.
I used ribbon around the neck edge and shoulder seams to stop it stretching out.
As my shoulder to shoulder measurement on the front is 2 inches shorter than the back. I went a size down on the shoulders and joined up to the normal size at the side seams.