As soon as I got the No Pattern Needed book I was full of inspiration and wanted to make everything. Without the chance to go fabric shopping I needed to use something from my stash. This fabric was given to me by my mum as leftovers from a dress she made a couple of years ago. She got the fabric from Stitched Up and it’s a lovely crisp slightly thicker than shirting cotton fabric with this great pattern on it:
The pattern was very easy to draft. The only issue I hit was that you need to copy an item you already have which in itself is fine but I chose one that has tight arms and in this fabric that meant it was too tight and was nearly cutting off my circulation. So I ended up going sleeveless. Note to self, copy a garment you actually want to copy ha!
To replace the sleeves I used the sleeves from the Triangle Top also in the book.
Originally I drafted the pattern as described by the book and it came out exactly as the picture. How often can you say that! But then I realised I didn’t want so much ease in the top of the dress so I removed the 4inches of ease in the top (1 inch from each side, front and back).
As I have an arched back I added 4 tucks in the back to mirror the front. This gave me a tighter fit at the waist but still room to manoeuvre at the shoulder blades which I like.
I kept the amount of ease described in the book for the skirt but just gathered it more to fit the top. Next time I would like to add even more volume to the skirt and use pleats instead of gathers.
This pattern (and the book) is a great intro to pattern drafting without any complicated jargon or maths. I don’t think I have ever made something that fits so perfectly as this dress. I can’t wait to make more from this book. I have fabric waiting for the rectangle skirt.